Italian Pinhead Torta
2012 Speciality Trophy Winner
Recipe by Laurie Figone (c/o Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods, Inc.)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 oz. dried portabella mushrooms, rehydrated in 1 ½ cups boiling water for 10 minutes (reserving the liquid to soak the oats in). After soaking, drain, squeeze dry and dice mushrooms.
- 1-½ cups Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats (also known as pinhead oats) soaked in reserved mushroom liquid for 10 minutes.
- 6 TBSP butter, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
- ½ cup diced sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic salt with parsley
- 1 cup dried Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 TBSP butter in an 11-inch frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onion.
- While onion is sautéing, heat 2 TBSP butter in a 10-inch saucepan over medium-high heat. Add soaked Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats and stir constantly for 2–3 minutes or until remaining liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once onion has become translucent, add the following to the pan: mushrooms, zucchini, sun dried tomatoes and Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats; mix well. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and then add garlic salt, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and then stir in Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats mixture.
- Return 11-inch frying pan to medium to medium-high heat and add remaining 2 TBSP butter. When butter has melted, immediately pour in Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats mixture and place a tight fitting lid on your pan. Cook covered for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove lid and remove pan from heat; invert onto a serving plate. Immediately top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice and serve.