Saturday 10th October 2015 (and 10/10 every year!)
Join in this celebration of Scotland’s traditional national dish to help feed needy children in some of the poorest countries across the globe.
The small Scottish Highland village of Carrbridge – home of the annual World Porridge Making Championship – has teamed up with the Scottish-based charity, Mary’s Meals to establish an international World Porridge Day.
We hope you will take part by joining porridge makers across the globe to help support the work of Mary’s Meals.
The charity, which operates its international headquarters from a tin shed in the Argyll area of the Scottish Highlands, has one simple aim: To provide a daily meal in a place of education so chronically poor children are attracted to the classroom where they can gain a basic education that can provide an escape route from poverty.
Mary’s Meals works in 16 of the poorest countries in the world, providing daily school meals for over 500,000 hungry children.
World Porridge Day aims to raise awareness of the role that porridge plays at Mary’s Meals projects in Malawi, where a daily mug of maize-based ‘likuni phala’ is an incentive for children to go to school.
This provides them with the nutrition they need to grow, play and also learn with the aim that education will help them escape from a life of poverty
It is a simple and cost effective idea – it costs just £6.15 (about €7.20 or $10) to feed a child in Malawi for a year.
You can support this worthy cause by getting together with family, friends or workmates and hosting your own World Porridge Day fundraising event. Just cook up a steaming pan of good hearty porridge or maybe bake some oatmeal cookies or flapjacks and ask everyone to make a donation, however large or small, to help support Mary’s Meals.
If you have a World Porridge Day planned, we would love to hear about it! Please email email@example.com with details.
Providing meals in: Malawi, Haiti, Ukraine, Romania, Kenya, Sudan, Philippines, Albania, Bosnia, India, Burma, Thailand, Liberia, Uganda, Zambia and Ecuador.
Throughout the world, hunger blocks poor children from gaining the education that is their most likely escape route out of poverty. Mary’s Meals offers a simple solution to this problem by working with local communities to provide daily meals in school. Where Mary’s Meals is provided to children in a place of education, there is a rise in enrolment, attendance and academic performance.
Hosting your own WORLD PORRIDGE DAY event is fun and easy
The official World Porridge Day is Saturday 10th October 2015 but you can choose whatever date suits you best.
- Decide on a venue. This could be in your own home, at work, at school or maybe you are a professional chef working in a hotel or restaurant or a B&B or guest house proprietor.
- Why not be creative? As well as traditional porridge, there are plenty of delicious recipes to choose from with porridge with all sorts of other ingredients added. Ideas for porridge / oatmeal recipes can be found on the World Porridge Making Championship official website at www.goldenspurtle.com or if you have a good recipe, maybe you would like to share it with other porridge enthusiasts across the world by adding it to the recipe section.
- You might just want to sit down round the kitchen table or works canteen or you may want to turn your WORLD PORRIDGE DAY event into a real Scottish occasion with bunting, kilts and even the sound of the bagpipes!
- You could help raise extra funds by including a raffle, bottle stall, lucky dip, whisky tasting or even a quiz with a Scottish theme.
- You may already support other charitable causes. If so, you could always host a World Porridge Day event and divide the fund raising with some of the proceeds going towards helping support Mary’s Meals.
Whatever you choose to do, we want to hear about your fund raising efforts.
Your donation, however small or large, will really help Mary’s Meals in their mission to reach out to the poorest children around the globe.
Find out more about Mary’s Meals – www.marysmeals.org