Cranachan Oat Milk Ice Cream Sundaes
- 12th October 2021
A humble ode to a dessert I want to try from a place I want to visit! Enter Cranachan, a traditional Scottish dessert that incorporates harvest ready raspberries, cream, whiskey, and oats.
As the heat from the U.S summer rages on, what better way to celebrate the beautiful structure and versatility of oats than by turning them into ice cream! Using cooked porridge in the ice cream base allows for a structure and creaminess that regular non-dairy ice cream cannot achieve. Whiskey not only flavors the ice cream but due to the lack of fat in oats compared to cow milk, the addition of alcohol allows the ice cream to remain soft. I’m hoping my Scottish friends can take a recipe like this and make it even more traditional and special with the best ingredients my American hands can’t get hold of!
Oatmilk Ice Cream
3 cups of oat milk (750 ml)
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (20 g)
1 cup raw cashews (140 g)
2/3 cup sugar (135 g)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 oz Scotch
Oat Crisp Topping
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats (60 g)
6tbsp light brown sugar
4 tbsp flour
Cinnamon to taste
2 cup fresh raspberries (reserve 1 cup as topping) (250 g)
1/4 cup white sugar (50 g)
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Honey Whipped Cream (for serving)
1 1/2 c cold heavy cream (375 ml)
5 tbsp honey
- Prepare the Oat Crisp Topping and Raspberry Swirl
- To prepare Oat Crisp Topping;
1.Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until coarse crumbs form. 2. Spread out crumbs in a single layer on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 F/ 176 C oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and gently stir to break up any large clumps.
- Return to oven for 7 minutes more, until crumbs are golden brown.
- Leave on counter to completely cool before using.
- To Prepare the Raspberry Swirl Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine the raspberries, white sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mash the sugar and cornstarch into the raspberries with a fork, then stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. When it’s ready, it will no longer look cloudy but should look more like a jelly.
- Pour the sauce through a sieve into a bowl, pressing through with a spoon to extract as much of the juice and fruit from the seeds as possible. Discard the seed and let the sauce come to room temperature.
- Prepare the Ice Cream
- In a small sauce pan, simmer oats in 1 cup/ 250 ml of milk until soft, about 10 minutes. Immediately transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In a blender combine the remaining milk and the cashews. Blend on high until completely smooth. Add the cooled oatmeal, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and scotch and blend again. Refrigerate until cold.
- Churn the mixture according the instructions for your ice cream maker. At this point the ice cream will be softer than a typical soft serve consistency.
- Working quickly, transfer 1/4 of ice cream from machine into a freezer safe container (I use a loaf pan for easy scoopability).
- Pour in 1/3 of the raspberry sauce. Repeat steps with remaining ice cream and raspberry sauce until it is all finished.
- Swirl with a knife before putting into freezer.
- Freeze for about 4 hours.
- Around the 4 hour mark, and definitely once the ice cream has been in the freezer longer, it will be too hard to scoop right out of the freezer. It’s important to let the ice cream soften at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Prepare the Honey Whipped Cream
- NOTE: Only prepare this before serving so whipped cream remains fluffy. 2. Pour heavy cream into an electric stand mixer or large chilled mixing bow. Using a wire whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium speed until it begins to thicken slightly. 2. Turn mixer off and add honey. Scrape down side of bowl to ensure honey is incorporated in the area.
- Whip the cream on medium-high speed until it holds soft peaks.
- After letting ice cream properly thaw, scoop ice cream into a bowl. Top with fresh raspberries, whipped cream, and a generous amount of oat crisp topping. Enjoy!